Thursday 10 April 2008

The Wonder of Tractors

I rode into work again a few times this past week. It is helping with piling on the miles but the return journey can be somewhat of a bore. Usually into a head wind and just wanting to be in bed I struggle to get my heart rate up and plod along at an average of 14mph or so. On the flat on a road bike.

Sometimes there is a treat on the journey, something to motivate me and get my heart pumping and the speed up. It could be music, another cyclist, the local time trial on my route or one of many things. I especially like overtaking spotty teenagers on their 50cc mopeds. The treat on my journey home yesterday was a stinky tractor flicking mud in my face. I had just crested a gentle rise and was struggling to push the pedals around, just grinding slowly along at about 15mph when this muck spattered machine came rumbling past. I was instantly out of the saddle and sprinting to get a slipstream tow from it. What an amazing difference it makes! For the next few miles I averaged 25mph and it felt so easy. I had to keep backing off so I didn't roll into the back of the tractor. I wonder if we could persuade someone to drive one all the way down in the jogle. Reckon we could do it in half the time then. It is a little bit dangerous though (incase PC Regie is reading) because you can't see what is in front of the tractor and if he hit the brakes..... ouch. At that time of the morning though I am willing to take the risk to get me home.

If you feel nerdy all the stats of that particular ride are here

5 comments:

dave said...

perhaps we should get Steve to drive a tractor, just in case he does't do any training?

Cactusnic said...

Ooo Arrr farmer Steve. Then he can squash us all in a fit of Steve rage when he misses a gear!

Steve said...

Ladies ladies, I'm a reformed man. Anyway planning a 50 miler this weekend on the road on me mtb, Rich didn't finish me Road Bike before buggering off on his hols. Once that is sorted I'll be riding back from Exeter one day a week near 60 miles to home. Running's going well and back at the gym 3 times per week. Just need a few weeks of this and I'll be lean and mean..well mean anyway

Cactusnic said...

50 miler you could have honced with us old timers. Still I guess you probably don't have what it takes.

Steve said...

Yeah but I'll be doing it in half the time of you old uns