Monday 7 April 2008

The HONC is looming

This Sunday it is The Hell Of The North Cotswolds .This is a very popular and fairly tough reliability ride in and around the Cotswold town of Winchcombe. About 1000 riders take on either the 50K or 100K courses which are a mix of about 50/50 on and offroad. It is one of the few events that us JOGLERS have had a regular presence at over the years. This will be my 5th time at the event and Daves 2nd. Dr Stephen did it in 2004 and Steve in 2006.

I have tackled it on a singlespeed, a full sus mountain bike, a tandem, a hardtail mountain bike and this year it will be done on my cyclo cross bike. Dave is riding his hard tail and Steve will be washing the dishes at home. Girl. I may however have frightened Steve off, as the last time he rode it was on the back of the tandem. Unfortunately my confidence outweighed my talent on that day and we had a fairly spectacular wipe out when I tried to squeeze into a narrowing gap between two other riders on a descent. Fortunately the other riders were restrained enough to avoid punching me on the nose, which is probably what I deserved. I am pretty sure I ruined their day as well as Steve's. Sorry out there whoever you are. For Steve's part he was suprisingly restrained, didn't even swear. Considering he could hardly use his arm for a month after that was quite impressive.
Last year, due to a general lack of riding and fitness we took the short route but we did at least get around without any dramas. This year Dave and I are planning on doing the 100k hopefully without any faceplants or broken bones.

The pics are At the Top: Nick and Dr Stephen at the start of the 2004 event. on the right: us again on a descent later on the same day and the last pic is Dave with Nick on the left.

2006 Route 100k shortened after Tandem Wipout
2007 50k Route

2008 routes are here: Short Long
The Memory Map and Tracklogs versions are here