Saturday 8 March 2008

Shorts

Here I am at work working hard again. The good news is I have managed a 150 mile week. Or at least when I get home tomorrow I will have. It has been a few years since I have done that!


One of my major worries about increasing the mileage in preparation for the JOGLE has been my bum. I know it looks big in lycra - that is not the issue. I don't want to be struggling due to a sore bot when otherwise fit. To that end I have been asking advice from various folk. The general suggestion has been get some Assos F1 shorts. VERY pricey. Also ASSOS Chamois Crème has been recommended to me. I have splashed out on both of these all be it the cheapest Assos F1 shorts - the £70 Unos. My impressions have been mixed.

Firstly the ASSOS Chamois Crème. This was new to me and I felt a bit of a charlie rubbing it on the chamois and er.... other places. The good news though is that it is fantastic. It causes a strange cooling sensation where applied which is not the best when starting a ride at -3deg! However the cooling sensation soon goes and the cream feels great. I could definately ride for longer whatever the shorts with the cream applied. I would heartily recommend it to any one looking to cycle long distances.



Now the shorts. I have done a mini group test of the shorts I use:
Assos F1 Uno about £70
Briko Katana about £50
DHB Earnley Bib Shorts about £30
Firstly I have my trusty Briko Katana Viper Bib shorts. They are about £50. I have been using these for the past year and am very pleased with them.
The lycra feels high quality and shows no sign of wear after this time. They also fit beautifully. No ripples or loose bits. The chamois is a one piece formed synthetic thingy. It works superbly especially with the ASSOS Chamois Crème applied. Of all my shorts these are the ones that provide me with the most comfort. I have riden 5 hrs without an issue.
They have a low front which is great for calls of nature and a mesh back for moisture transfer. The only minor niggle is the reflective Briko Logo is starting to lift in places.


Next Up are the Assos shorts. They Ooze quality, the workmanship is clear and it is easy to see why the cost a bit more. When first pulling them on they feel like a high quality piece of kit and again the fit is superb. The chamois is a multi layered affair and is said to be the secret to Assos legendary comfort. Unfortunately for me I was very underwhelmed by their comfort. I suffered aching bum bones after 2- 3 hours in the saddle. You will know what I mean if you ride bikes! The shorts just dont measure up to the cheaper Brikos. At least for me. I will keep trying them and see if breaking them in a bit more helps.
These shorts, similar to the Brikos have a low front and mesh back. They look superb, I certainly felt quicker wearing them. Shame it wasn't true.





Lastly are the much cheaper DHB Earnley Shorts. Whilst their build quality is understandably not a match for the Assos shorts it is not far off the Brikos and they really do have an excellent feel and fit for such budget shorts.
The Chamois is a one piece synthetic affair similar to the Briko's but not quite as effective. In terms of pure comfort these do not match the Brikos but very suprisingly do, for me at least, match the Assos shorts. DHB somehow work wonders at such low prices.
I have also tried their padded bib tights and they too are fantastic at very low prices.


My conclusion from all of this is that I will probably Buy another pair of Briko shorts before the Jogle but for everyday riding the DHB shorts will do me just fine. I will not be splashing on Assos again in a hurry but they will get my hard earned for their Chamois Crème. It may be that my large wobbly bottom is different to other folk because I am aware that my conclusions are at odds with other reviews out there. However I don't think you can go far wrong with the DHB offerings no matter the shape of your rump.

2 comments:

Regie said...

I have just got my first pair of 'bib' shorts, the mrs took one look and has told me if I ever wear them in front of her again divorce will be on the cards. She is convinced there is something kinky about wearing lycra!
Might have to check out the cream.
Reg

Cactusnic said...

Yeah they do look a bit dodgy unless you are super buff. My Mrs reckons I look like Mick McManus of 70's wrestling fame or more likely Big Daddy. Not much of a compliment!