Monday 5 May 2008

Training without a GPS

I am very impressed with the data that can be acquired with one of these Garmin gadgets the Joglers are using. Maybe one day... but in the meantime, here is my anecdotal account of my preparation for the Scottish leg of the Jogle...

Regular cycling

I cycle to work most days regardless of the time of year. It is 6 miles mostly downhill into St Andrews and 6 miles uphill into a strong head wind most of the way back, so about 50 to 60 miles per week. This keeps me ticking over and gives me good recovery, but is not good for stamina.

Stamina

Since my membership application was accepted by the Jogle committee, I have been steadily increasing my miles and trying to increase the time on the bike. So far I have managed to do just over 100 miles per week over the past two months. Then last Friday (2 May) I did an undulating 45 mile ride where I averaged 20mph. The next day my resting heartrate was good, so I was encouraged that my fitness is heading in the right direction.

Past experience

When I had just finished University (1990!), I cycled Lands End to John O'Groats in 7 days with a friend. The first day we rode from Lands End to Bath (215 miles) and then averaged between 100 and 150 miles per day. After 3 days my backside was so sore I was wearing two pairs of cycling shorts! By day 5 I had tendonitis in my patellar ligament. By day 7 I was in agony, but managed to complete the challenge. My knees have never been the same since!

Psychological vs. Physiological

Since my Lejog ride I have done other long distance cycling challenges and have found that by just taking it really easy, always "riding within yourself" you can travel long distances without needing to do a massive amount of training beforehand. I have found that regular commuting gives me a good base fitness, then the rest if often psychological rather than physiological.

Challenge

It is still going to be a challenge though to complete 3 days back-to-back where I aim to cycle 100 miles per day. I haven't done that since, well since I cycled Lands End to John O'Groats! Better find an extra pair of shorts to wear!

8 comments:

Cactusnic said...

Blimee! 20 mph over a hilly 45 miles? You are a far fitter man than me then ;-( I managed 17.5mph on a gently undulating 45 miles over the weekend. I haven't averaged 20 mph in a ride over 10 miles for about 5 years.

Damn it I had better get my skates on although judging by the state of the rest of the Jogling committee I can hang back and pretend I am waiting for them...

Stephen said...

Well, to be fair, I should say that it was an "undulating ride" rather than "hilly" as it wasn't one of your insane "let's see if I can ascend Mount Everest by cycling the lanes of Stroud in 5 miles"! Fife is hilly, but compared to Stroud it is more like Holland!

Steve said...

Hey, North Devon has more hills than anywhere in the world.... I would just like to point out to Mr Fats, unlike him I have a proper job and have to work 5 days a week, not like the looser he is 2 days (or nights) a week, get a life tubs..

King regards

Mr Sylvester

Cactusnic said...

Dear me here come the excuses......

North Devon maybe hilly but that counts for nothing unless you actually ride them.....

I am going to make it a goal to get a 20 mph average. It may kill me but its worth a go

Steve said...

If you do die can I ave yer bike

Cactusnic said...

Um...NO!

Steve said...

You'll be dead and have no use for it....

Cactusnic said...

Maybe but a bike owned by one such as I would be worth Millions. I will leave it to be auctioned for the cause. You are rich enough. Baldy. :-D