Friday 23 May 2008

Fat Men Can't Climb

There is a hill near me Called Frocester Hill that runs about 1 1/4 miles in length at an average gradient of about 10%. Nothing too extreme but over the years I have timed myself up it when bored as a very unscientific measurement of my state of fitness.

The last time that I had tried this was about 2 years ago when I was 20lbs lighter. I thought I would have a bash at it yesterday because I couldn't be bothered to do a long ride and well to be honest I was curious. Recently the miles have been piling up so I dared to think that maybe, just maybe I was in olympic form. Unsurprisingly this is clearly not the case.

I managed to climb the hill in 10mins 50 sec at an av heart rate of 165. My previous record was 8mins 30 at an average heart rate of 164. So compared to me I was slow but to really put this in perspective on the climb of Mont Ventoux, a similar gradient but about 10 times longer, the top riders in the world average about 14mph. I am averaging about 7mph. Fat boys can't climb.

Here is my attempt.

5 comments:

Stephen said...

Ye canna change the laws o'physics!

Cactusnic said...

Tis true but I can still try ;-)

Steve said...

But you can change the size of yer belly. Ride Fat Boy Ride, hey that would be a good title for a film

Anonymous said...

thought you might be interested in the fact that this climb is used by the local Dursley cycle club as a annual Hill climb event

Hill Climb - Frocester Hill 30-8-07
D Smetham DRC 6.27
A Green DRC 7.20
M Wright Army CU 7.23
P Rochowiak DRC 7.27
G May DRC 8.12
A Chalmers Chippenham Wh 8.30
D Holpin Day Member 10.08

Cactusnic said...

Thank you, that is interesting. There are some very fit and fast guys in your club!

Where do you start the climb?